Friday, January 2, 2015

Alice's Do-over Experiences: Week 1

And Away We Go!




A couple of weeks ago Thomas MacEntee, a well-known genealogy blogger, webinar presenter, researcher, and all-around nice guy, posted his Genealogy “Do-Over” idea for his own genealogy on Facebook.  The write-up included something about correcting his mistakes.  “Hm,” I thought.  “Now what mistakes can he have made in his own research.  If Thomas MacEntee can make mistakes, how bad are the mistakes I’ve made over the years.”  He created a Facebook group and now has a following of 1,000+  fellow genealogists who are ready to start over, and do it right.  The start date for this new project is today--January 2, 2015.  Patience has never been one of my virtues, so I started dabbling with my do-over on Saturday evening, December 27, 2014.

My genealogy database program of choice has been Legacy Family tree over the past 3+ years.  While I’m not deleting my old database (yet), I did start a new one, which I titled “Alice’s do-over 2015.”  At the same time, I am (finally) going to implement Mary Hill’s color coded system for organizing your genealogy files, which I collected all the supplies for over the past couple of years

I made my first entry in my do-over file in Legacy—me.  Before that, though, I culled from my paper files a copy of my birth certificate and that of my older brother, plus his death certificate (he only lived 2 days after birth).  I did not find my younger brother’s birth certificate, so I’m hoping he has it and that I can get a copy for my files.  I do have his birth recorded in his baby book by our mother, which for some reason I have, along with my own.  I do not want to enter anything into my new, clean file that does not have a source. 

Yesterday, (January 1st), I did a little more work on my “do-over.”  I do not have a birth certificate for my father, who was born in Germany in 1907.  His birth date on my birth certificate is correct, but his birth place is not.  Every document I have where he provided the information says he was born in Nebraska.  However, I do have documentation for his correct birth place.  I have a copy of the ship’s manifest showing his arrival in the US in 1908 with his parents and older brothers.  I have a copy of his mother’s passport application when she was trying to get herself and her children out of Germany where they were visiting, and back to the US a scant week or so after WWI broke out in Europe.  This application gives her birth date and place, as well as that of her three sons.  Ka-ching!  Best I can hope for, for the time being, unless and until I can uncover some church records for this family in the part of Germany that is now Poland.

I created a “do-over” folder in My Documents, and have created a sub-folder within this one for my father, mother, & us kids.  I have moved documents over to this sub-folder that were on my hard drive.  I have moved paper documents that I already had (except my mother’s birth certificate), to a crisp new manila folder which resides in the crisp new “blue” folder for my paternal grandparents.  I need to dig my mother’s birth certificate out of her surname (before marriage) folder so I can reference it and make a note in the files that her birth certificate is in that location.  Pull a few more miscellaneous documents into the proper folders and VOILA!  One family completed, with sources noted and in place in my digital files as well as paper ones.  Other sub-folders will be created as I go.

~~

Week 1 (January 2-8) Topics

1.      Setting previous research aside

For as far as I’ve gotten thus far with just my father’s family, this is not a difficult task, because the only known descendants in this line are myself and children, grandchildren; my brother (no children); and a cousin who is about 20 years older than me who is probably gone by now, and who I’ve been told has two children. This is a shame, because all my life I wondered why I had never met her (aside from the fact that my parents divorced when I was 7 or 8), and it wasn’t until fairly recently that I learned she was married about 6 months after I was born.  The third brother, as far as I know, never married or had children.  So I don’t have much in the way of research for them, anyway.  However, I’ve used the “shotgun” approach on many of my other families, so I will be shuffling through file folders (dozens of them) and jettisoning a lot of stuff that isn’t doing to fit in with this do-over.

2.      Preparing to research

Part of preparing to research includes knowing what it is you need to look for, and the other part would be knowing *where* to look.  What research tools and tactics do I already use?  Do they produce results?  Is there anything else I could be doing in this area to improve my results?  One thing I know I lack is using some basic tools like to-do lists and research logs.  There’s nothing like the thrill of discovering all these family records online, taking time to save them to the files, then discovering that just a scant 6 (or less) months before, you already found this information and saved it to your files.  That was several hours of wasted time that could have been spent on another family.  So part of my preparation is going to be making to-do lists, remembering to check off and make notes about the results, and to keep a research log listing where I have searched, and whether or not I found anything of value. 

3.       Establishing base practices and guidelines

This is sort of related (for me, anyway) to topic #2, above.  I need to get in a habit of using a to-do list.  More than that, I need to get in the habit of using a research log, and especially noting whether or not I found anything in one of the record sets I researched.  And I need to get in the habit of noting sources. I’ve gotten in the habit of doing this over the past year or so with new research I’ve done and entered into Legacy, but I have a database full of people which I’m setting aside for this exercise, most of whom I have not noted sources for, even when I have them. 


This is it for now.  More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment